Welcome Dear Student

This blog was designed for the Biomedical Technology students at the Durban University of Technology, in Durban, South Africa. It consists of short notes on aspects that I feel that my students grapple with, and aims to provide a better explanation than that they would receive in lectures. It is also a very personal blog, where I feel comfortable 'talking' to my students.

Please email me sherlien@dut.ac.za




Search This Blog

Thursday, March 18, 2010

CLED agar contd....

This is medium for the differentiation of urinary organisms. Its basic colour differs according to the manufacturer. Previously we had pale pink plates; now they are the prettiest green I've seen in a long time. Almost translucent green, like the sea on a clear summer day.

From the name, it contains cysteine, lactose and is electrolyte deficient. The electrolyte deficiency prevents swarming of .......?
LF are yellow
NLF are blue
but in addition to that.......
Pseudomanas is green with a rough colony edge
Staphylococcus aureus and Enterococcus faecalis are yellow (other Staphylococcus can be white)

No comments:

Post a Comment