Welcome Dear Student

This blog was designed for the Biomedical Technology students at the Durban University of Technology, in Durban, South Africa. It consists of short notes on aspects that I feel that my students grapple with, and aims to provide a better explanation than that they would receive in lectures. It is also a very personal blog, where I feel comfortable 'talking' to my students.

Please email me sherlien@dut.ac.za




Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Swollen feet…. and other superstitions

Much as I hate to admit it, many superstitions are grounded in fact. Take the swollen feet one, for instance. We are told to soak swollen feet in warm salty water, the theory being that the swelling would reduce.
Here’s the scientific bit:
Water moves from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. An accumulation of fluid can be one reason for swelling to occur. Soaking your feet in water would cause would cause the water to move out from your feet into the warm salt water. We all know that heat would enhance the process.
The question remains:
How hot should the water be?
How much salt should be added to the warm water?
How long should you soak your feet for the procedure to be successful?
I have visions of prune like toes and other wriggly bits…….

No comments:

Post a Comment