Welcome Dear Student

This blog was designed for the Biomedical Technology students at the Durban University of Technology, in Durban, South Africa. It consists of short notes on aspects that I feel that my students grapple with, and aims to provide a better explanation than that they would receive in lectures. It is also a very personal blog, where I feel comfortable 'talking' to my students.

Please email me sherlien@dut.ac.za




Search This Blog

Monday, March 14, 2011

foundation immunology theory test 1 comments

Hi. These are some comments that i feel compelled to make after marking your scripts and reviewing your answers.
The test comprised just 5 questions. Yes I concede that the question on Ab structure was trickery but that was done deliberately to test your knowledge. You were/are supposed to be aware of the fact that IgM is a pentamer. When I questioned you in class during the practical session, you all agreed that you knew this. But knowing this fact and applying it are two different things.
Question 4 was done very poorly. I really emphasized in class that cells express cell markers. CD1 is a maturation marker and is only expressed by thymocytes. Thymocytes are immature T cells found only in the thymus. Thats 2 marks out of 5. The remaining 3 marks comes from stating that CD25 is only expressed by an activated/stimulated cell; a thymocyte can never be stimulated; therefore the thymocyte can never express CD25.
Your answers told me lots of things. It spoke about cell markers expressing cell markers. It spoke about maturation and lineage markers. But your answers could not make the jump from the theory to the explanation required of you.
Now I believe that many of you are using the same old method of studying that you used last semester and last year, i.e. memorising. I need to tell you that memorising will not work in Immunology. You have to apply your knowledge. Unless you are prepared to change, and unless you do change, you will have a problem in performing well in any assessment.
Please do come see me for any help that I can offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment