Welcome Dear Student

This blog was designed for the Biomedical Technology students at the Durban University of Technology, in Durban, South Africa. It consists of short notes on aspects that I feel that my students grapple with, and aims to provide a better explanation than that they would receive in lectures. It is also a very personal blog, where I feel comfortable 'talking' to my students.

Please email me sherlien@dut.ac.za




Search This Blog

Thursday, July 28, 2011

lock and key mechanism

This may sound familiar to you, I hope. I think you may have done something similar in enzymes in life sciences.
Do you remember how to draw these? I just need you to be able to show me that one shape 'fits' into or is aligned with the other shape.
Try to draw various lock and key mechanism so that you are familiar with the concept. We are going to need it in the next section.

3 comments:

  1. Hi.. Lock nd key thingy,is it the same as the protein chain(from protein snythesis) or the same as the DNA strand?protein chain(from protein snythesis) or the same as the DNA strand?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    No it is not. Please can I ask you to look at your life science notes from matric, under enzymes. You should then understand what I am talking about. In lock and key one shape fits into another shape such that both shapes are allied to each other. Just like keys are specific to particular keyholes; so to these shapes are specific to each other. If the shapes don't "fit" into each other, they cannot cause any reaction to take place. I hope this helps. If it still does not, please email me and I will send you a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi...I dont understand,maybe a picture could help out.

    ReplyDelete