Welcome Dear Student

This blog was designed for the Biomedical Technology students at the Durban University of Technology, in Durban, South Africa. It consists of short notes on aspects that I feel that my students grapple with, and aims to provide a better explanation than that they would receive in lectures. It is also a very personal blog, where I feel comfortable 'talking' to my students.

Please email me sherlien@dut.ac.za




Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

HLA and MHC

MHC is located on the short arm of chromosome 6. This locus codes for the HLA antigens that are found on various cells in the body. There are 3 classes of MHC.
MHC class I are found on platelets and all nucleated cells. examples of MHC class I are HLA-A, HLA-B and HLA-C.
MHC class II are found on macrophages, monocytes and lymphocytes. Examples are HLA-D, HLA-DP, HLA-DQ and HLA-DR.
Examples of MHC class III are C2, C4 and Factor B. (remember complement?)

We need to know the actual structures of MHC class I and II.
For each structure you need to know where antigen binds, and where CD4 or CD8 interacts. Remember that CD4 or CD8 are cell markers and are attached to cells, viz. TH and TC respectively. So do not draw just the cell marker; ensure that you draw the cell as well.
You need to know the names of each domain; these are not interchangeable and you will lose marks if they are labelled incorrectly.

Ag binds between alpha 1 and alpha 2, and CD8 interacts with alpha 3. (MHC class I)

Ag binds between alpha 1 and beta 1, and CD4 interacts with beta 2 (MHC class II)

No comments:

Post a Comment