Welcome Dear Student

This blog was designed for the Biomedical Technology students at the Durban University of Technology, in Durban, South Africa. It consists of short notes on aspects that I feel that my students grapple with, and aims to provide a better explanation than that they would receive in lectures. It is also a very personal blog, where I feel comfortable 'talking' to my students.

Please email me sherlien@dut.ac.za




Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

comments on micro3 practical test one

I can't decide if I am amused or upset about the stuff you did in your prac test. These are some comments I noted:
Many organisms can grow on SAB. You cannot assume that if there is growth, that it is definitely a yeast
Biochemical tests that you set up must tie in with what you observed in your Gram stain
I have asked repeatedly that you do not describe the colour of the colonies or organisms. It is either Gram positive or negative, or LF or NLF
You need to interpret the results of the biochemical tests as being either positive or negative. At this stage of your studies, you should not be saying/describing the colours seen
MSA cannot be positive or negative. You need to state mannitol fermentation or no mannitol fermentation
LF on MacConkey are large glossy mucoid colonies
Escherichia coli 0157H7 can only be determined by serotyping the E coli. It is not determined by putting up sugars
CTA sugars are not used for GNB identification.
Above all else, please listen to me in lectures, during practical sessions, etc. I am not wasting your time by telling you stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment